Re: [css3-transitions] [css3-animations] API for testing transitions and animations

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 17:36:21 +0100, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:

>> Right. I meant that if prefixes are used, it's proprietary, strictly
>> speaking. And if they are not, then the tests would be dependent on
>> getting
>> the other spec stable enough that prefixes can be dropped.
>
> The term used by CSS 2.1 is "vendor-specific", not "proprietary".  If
> you're going to call requestAnimationFrame proprietary because it's
> prefixed, then so are transitions and animations, since they're still
> prefixed too -- right?

Yes. The W3C testsuites will use the standard(-to-be) syntax of
transitions and animations, not the prefixed ones -- right?

And OK, fair enough on the wording: I think it would be unfortunate if the
W3C testsuites were to allow or depend on vendor-specific syntaxes (unless
we actually have to put those syntaxes into the specification because the
web has become dependent on them... well, it would be unfortunate if that
point is reached, too).

>> Yes, which seems a bit unfortunate.
>
> We can have a number of different types of tests.  A UA that doesn't
> implement requestAnimationFrame can still be tested on events,
> timeouts, etc.

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I wrote the reply. I misread the "wouldn't"
as "would" in "UAs that don't support it wouldn't be deemed to not support
transitions/animations" (and "deemed" as in deemed by any random person
looking at the test results, if the tests were to fail without
requestAnimationFrame support)

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA