Re: Submission of transform tests

On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Linss, Peter <peter.linss@hp.com> wrote:
> Personally I have a slight preference that they live in a 'reference' directory (symmetric with support files). But the system is fine with either approach for legacy reasons.

Okay.

> If you have a number of tests that are slight variations on the same theme, you can use letter suffixes, but we still want the number padded to 3 digits.
>
> So abspos-001a.html, abspos-001b.html, … would be fine as well. Then they could each use abspos-001-ref.html (or reference/abspos-001.html or reference/abspos-001-ref.html).
>
> If a large number of tests have a common reference, you could also use a more generic name for the reference and not number it. This would be better if the tests are not closely related and have different numbers. Note that it's also fair to have test-042.html use reference-001.html. There's no need to copy a reference file simply to match its name to its test. But try to be logical in your names.

Okay, I've done this.

> The three digit padding ensures proper sorting should the number of tests ever exceed 9 (which you never know what's going to happen 10 years from now). Also test names need to be unique across the entire repository, so there could be tests from another suite entirely that use the same base name (like say a test suite for absolute positioning…) so it's impossible to predict how many will use the same name.

Should I prefix the base name with "transform-" or such?  If the test
name is expected to be globally unique, I don't want to steal
globally-relevant names for very specific tests.

> In Shepherd, each account has an account name, full name, email address, and url. It does its best to correlate the name used in commit messages with user accounts so searching works.
>
> At this point, Shepherd has two user accounts for you, the first (username 'AryehGregor') was created by you on the wiki and is using the email address: 'ayg+csswg@aryeh.name'.
>
> In your tests, you used the href of 'http://aryeh.name/' in your author links and the email address 'ayg@aryeh.name' in your commits. The url wasn't known to your account and the email address wasn't used anywhere so Shepherd created a second account (username 'aryeh_gregor') with the email address 'ayg@aryeh.name' (from your Mercurial commit) and the url 'http://aryeh.name/' (from your author links). It was then binding the test owner (the first person to commit a test), the reviser (the person who committed a changeset), and the author to 'aryeh_gregor'.
>
> I manually updated the user ids in Shepherd so that your existing tests have the author, reviser, and owner set to the 'AryehGregor' account (your wiki/mercurial account) and I added the 'http://aryeh.name/' url to that account so it can be correlated to your author links.
>
> I just want to make sure that future commits you make bind to the same account. To do this, you either need to use 'ayg+csswg@aryeh.name' as the email in your Mercurial config, or you need to change your wiki account to use 'ayg@aryeh.name' (which you can do with the 'Update Profile' button in the wiki).

I've done the latter.  Thanks!

> Currently the code does treat anything in a 'support' directory as a support file. But that could change and that's my code, who knows what code other people may write (although it is in a separate Python library specifically designed to interact with the tests). It's best practice not to mix patterns so please don't use '-ref' in support file names for safety sake.

Okay, noted.

> That's fine, you can also link to multiple sections if that's more logical for the test (the first link listed in the source is considered 'primary' and should be the most relevant).

Okay.

> Shepherd's search is quite powerful and lets you search on just about any aspect (if there's something you want to search on but can't, ask me and I'll add it).
>
> These are the fields you can search on at the moment:
> Name (filename minus extension for tests and references, full file name for support files)
> Type (test, reference, support)
> Specification
> Specification Section (from 'help' links)
> Status
> Author (from the 'author' link)
> Owner (first person to commit the file, this will be reassignable in Shepherd soon)
> Reviewer (from the reviewer link)
> Commenter (person who entered a comment into Shepherd)
> Reviser (person who committed a change to the file)
> Changeset (assets changed in specific Mercurial changeset)
> Title
> Assertion
> Flag
> Whiteboard (generic status comment)
> Comment (contents of Mercurial commit message or Shepherd comment)
> Content (actual file content, within the first 64k)
>
> Results can be sorted by name, date of last revision, or date of last Shepherd comment.
>
> Any search field with a '+' button after it also allows multiple selection (just click the '+' button).
>
> To see assets you modified that the system filed issues on, try:
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/reviser/AryehGregor/commenter/system/status/issue/
>
> You can also add text in the 'Comment' search field to search for specific content in comments, like:
> http://test.csswg.org/shepherd/search/testcase/reviser/AryehGregor/commenter/system/status/issue/comment/Not%20linked/
> for tests missing spec links.
>
> The home page does have a link to all the assets you own that are marked as 'Needs Work', if you're logged in.

Ah, all right, thanks.

I'll start addressing review comments in Shepherd now.  When everyone
is satisfied with these first few tests, I'll start work on porting
the others.