Re: [css3-regions] Two tests added to Mercurial repository

On May 19, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Alan Stearns wrote:

> I've added two test cases using Mercurial today:
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/adobe/incoming/regions/flow-conten
> t-000.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/adobe/incoming/regions/flow-conten
> t-001.xht
>
> I highly recommend making your initial Mercurial clone using https:// if you
> intend to make changes to the central repository. I did not and ended up
> starting over. I've edited the quick guide to emphasize which clone command
> to use.

I agree with this recommendation, thanks for the edit.

Rather than start over, you could have:
1) specified the https:// url when you did your push, ie: 'hg push https://hg.csswg.org/test'
2) edited the config file in the repository clone (your_local_dir/.hg/hgrc) to change the URL for the 'default' setting in the '[paths]' section
or 3) added 'default_push = https://hg.csswg.org/test' to the '[paths]' section of the .hg/hgrc file

With the first option, you have to specify the url every time you push.
With the third option you automatically pull from the http:// URL but push to the https:// URL. There's not a lot of point to that for this setup, but it's an option.

> These two tests are just a start, to get some feedback on what I expect will
> be several beginner's mistakes on my part. Please let me know what changes I
> should make. I'm particularly interested in whether tests should use vendor
> prefixes for specs that are clearly going to have them for a while, or if
> tests should match the spec and people have mechanisms for running them with
> prefixes on their early implementations.

Structurally they look good (I haven't looked at how they actually perform though :-) ).

We don't allow vendor prefixes in the official test suite though. I understand it's an issue when there aren't any un-prefixed implementations yet. At some point in the not-too-distant future we'll likely have an option in the build system to generate prefixes where they're needed (then it can generate prefixes for all vendors...). Until then, if you need them for internal testing, I suggest keeping a local copy of the repo with perhaps a branch...

Peter