Re: [RC4] containing-block-001 not testing what it should

Le Jeu 13 janvier 2011 4:32, Alan Gresley a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> <http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101210/html4/containing-block-001.htm>
>

> This test case is not testing what it should. All browsers that I can
> test currently pass this test. The assert has,
>
>    "If the element's position is 'relative', the containing block is
> formed by
>     the content edge of the nearest block-level ancestor box."
>

> For this to be true, the test needs a grandchild descendant.

Alan,

"
if the element's position is 'relative' or 'static', the containing
block is formed by the content edge of the nearest block container
ancestor box.
"
Quote coming from
Section 10.1 Definition of "containing block", 2nd bullet
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#containing-block-details

When percentages are involved, then the percentage values refer to the
content edge of the nearest block container ancestor box.

The testcase could have been more challenging, a bit more complex to
really test, verify implementations. (So that testcases have a fair
chance to reveal, to disclose/identify incorrect implementations.) Say,
by creating an intermediary static block with some padding area between
the real containing block (grand-parent) and a relatively positioned
element (child).

> I propose
> this test as a replacement.
>
> <http://css-class.com/test/css21testsuite/containing-block-001.htm>

The outermost span in your containing-block-001.htm is an inline element
and has no padding area... but it's already a more challenging and more
appropriate testcase.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC4; December 10th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/