RE: invalid tests about range of integer values

On Tuesday, October 05, 2010 9:52 AM L. David Baron wrote
> On Tuesday 2010-10-05 09:02 -0700, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> > According to you then,
> >
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/z-index-001.htm

> > and
> >
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/z-index-012.htm

> > must also be considered invalid testcases because there is no range
> > defined for z-index.
>
> They're not invalid because they're not testing that a value is rejected or
> truncated.  However, they're probably better off not in the suite because
> they're testing values outside a "reasonable"
> range.  And their asserts are wrong.
>
> > Wouldn't it be best if CSS2.1 would define explicitly an allowed range
> > for integer values for properties like counter-reset,
> > counter-increment, z-index, widows, orphans, etc? For negative integer
> > values when applicable. And also define explicitly what should happen
> > when minimum
> > (floor) and maximum (ceiling) values are exceeded?
>
> Maybe.
>
> Or it could define a range that *must* be handled but still allow handling of
> values outside that range.

Fixed for RC5.

I didn't have to do much for the z-index cases. I changed the assert a little to be more general and confirmed that the tests assume a reasonable integer size and will still pass correctly if the value it truncated or goes beyond the max/min of a 32-bit integer.

I also added the flag "32bit" to all cases to single these cases out a bit.

--
Thanks,
Arron Eicholz