RE: bidi tests assume undefined letter-spacing behavior

On Sunday, December 05, 2010 1:43 AM fantasai wrote:
> On 10/13/2010 09:48 PM, L. David Baron wrote:
> > The following tests:
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-005.xht
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-006.xht
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-007.xht
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-008.xht
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-009.xht
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/bidi-010.xht
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-005.htm
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-006.htm
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-007.htm
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-008.htm
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-009.htm
> > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/bidi-010.htm
> >
> > assume letter-spacing behavior that is, as far as I can tell,
> > undefined in CSS 2.1.
> >
> > While I agree Gecko's current behavior is suboptimal (and probably
> > best fixed by implementing what is required by css3-text (in bug
> > 299943)), I don't think these tests are valid as tests for CSS 2.1.
>
> Which element generates letter-spacing at an element boundary is not
> defined in CSS2.1. But the letter-spacing here is consistent throughout the
> paragraph. Gecko is failing here because the inter-character spacing is
> inconsistent.
>
> You might be right that the test is dependent on undefined behavior at
> element boundaries, but in that case I'd split the test into two halves: one
> that checks the location of element borders, and another that tests
> interaction with letter-spacing.
> (I'm having trouble right now coming up with a letter-spacing behavior that
> would require this split, though; i.e that would pass with the split, but fail
> with the current combination.
> But if you think I should split the tests, then let me know and I'll split them.)

I think the cases should be split since we do not define the placement of the letter spacing space.

For CSS3 we should define the letter spacing space to be placed after the character in the current text run direction. This would match most implementations. However, for CSS 2.1 this should be just undefined and we can just correct the tests.

--
Thanks,
Arron Eicholz