Re: bidi-004 and bidi-004a are broken

On 04/27/2011 10:14 AM, Alan Gresley wrote:

> Fantasai,
>
> I open up a text editor which code in LTR and code this markup.
>
> <h1>אבגדהוזח.</h1>
>

> Now between 'הוזח' and 'אבגד' I can insert more markup.
>

> If I insert a <br> I get this.
>
> <h1>אבגד<br>הוזח.</h1>
>

> If I insert a <span> I get this.
>
> <h1>אבגד<span></span>הוזח.</h1>
>

> I know why it happens since anything that is of a LTR script rearranges the bidi ordering. I do not know if RTL authors use
> text editors which code in RTL and I do not know if such an editors would rearranges the bidi ordering similar to the above
> examples.
>
> Is CSS3 text going to solve this issue or will the RTL web still be broken since HTML, CSS or other web languages are coded as
> LTR?

HTML, CSS, and other such languages are not broken. They operate
on the logical order of the contents, and display it using the
bidi algorithm. That is exactly as it should be.

If anything's broken in your editing experience, it's the editing
tools. One of Martin Dürst's students has been working on that
problem, creating an editor that can edit bidirectional markup.
The problem is not in scope for us: we do not design editor HCI
here at W3C.