Re: RC1 : 1st preliminary review report: list of 69 incorrect testcases

> On 9/24/10 4:59 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> 14- (Boris Zbarsky) A few table-anonymous-objects-0xx testcases use
>> and
>> rely on more than 1 element sharing the same id attribute value.
>
> Fixed (svn rev 1472).
>
>> Several table-anonymous-objects-0xx have also other smaller problems:
>> - validation markup errors (style without type attribute,
>> language="javascript", style block can not have an id, etc)
>
> Why can <style> not have an id?  All HTML elements can have an id in
> HTML5; I have no idea why HTML4 decided to not stick %coreattrs on
> there, but I think not using it here is silly....

Boris,

This is what I had in my notes:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100917/html4/table-anonymous-objects-015.htm
and
http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100917/html4/table-anonymous-objects-016.htm

      span { display: block ! important }
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function doTest() {
        var s = document.getElementById("s");
        s.disabled = true;

can be replaced with

      span { display: block ! important }
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function doTest() {
        document.styleSheets[0].disabled = true;

That way, no id needed for style and the code is 1 line more compact.

> I added types to <style> as needed in svn rev 1473 and removed the
> language="javascript" in svn rev 1474.
>
>> - Inline style is formally discouraged:
>
> Yes, I know.  Rewriting these test to not use inline style would
> actually make them significantly less readable.  If someone does want to
> do that, for some reason, feel free.

I may offer you a rewrite replacement/alternative later, ok?

>> - Because of onload="doTest()", you need to add
>
> Why?  This is a serious question; HTML5 specifies the default scripting
> language to be javascript.

"
(...) Documents that do not specify default scripting language
information and that contain elements that specify an intrinsic event
script are incorrect. (...)
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/interact/scripts.html#h-18.2.2.1

If default script language is not provided, then how is an user agent
going to be sure/to know in advance that this inline script is
"text/javascript" media type and that other one over somewhere else is
"text/vbscript" media type? That is why, I believe, default scripting
language should be specified in case of inline script.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC1; September 17th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/