Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

Arron Eicholz wrote:

> The following cases do not pass in any browsers. I have a feeling that
> the test cases are incorrect in most of the scenarios. With so many
> issues it would be great to get some help investigating each of these
> and seeing if the case is valid to the spec, if the case is just buggy
> and needs a simple fix or if the case should just be removed all
> together.
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/font-family-name-013.htm

As I noted to Arron, this test passes on non-Windows platforms.  It's a
byproduct of GDI usage which allows family names *and* fullnames as
lookup keys for fonts.  This means "Arial Bold" matches something on
Windows but not on any other platform.

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/font-weight-bolder-001.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/font-weight-lighter-001.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/font-weight-normal-001.htm

These tests are *only* for browsers that support font families with more
than the four basic regular/bold/italic/bold-italic faces.  So IE8
shouldn't pass but IE9 should (I can't for the life of me begin to
explain IE9 behavior as seen in the latest dev preview build).

John