RE: Microsoft CSS 2.1 Tests: Remaining Chapter 4 comments

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> Here are my remaining comments:
>
> at-charset-001.htm
> at-charset-002.htm
> at-charset-003.htm
> at-charset-004.htm
> at-charset-005.htm
> at-charset-006.htm
>    Remove PREREQUISITE.

I think we should discuss this more but I am leaning towards removing the prerequisite text from the tests. The problem is what if the test is failing? How do you know what you need to set on the server to make the test actually work? This might be good to talk about next Wednesday.

> at-charset-039.htm
>    Incorrect, see emails.

This is an invalid case and should be removed.

> at-rule-001.htm
> at-rule-006.htm
> at-rule-011.htm
> at-rule-012.htm
>    The at-rule-red.css needs to specify !important. It would also be
> good if
>    not everything turned green on passing, but just "Filler Text".

I agree on both counts I think there are a couple of issues here. I will update the cases and let you know what I have changed.

> numbers-units-015.htm
>    This should be more exact. If we use Ahem we can know exactly what
> the
>    x-height is and therefore how high all the three boxes have to be.

Actually I think you are looking at this incorrectly. It is not that the font has the information that is irrelevant here. It's that it may be impractical or impossible, due to the programming of the application (or some other situation), to actually get the information. In that case you can fallback to 0.5em.

> numbers-units-020.htm
> numbers-units-021.htm
>    The PREREQUISITE here is already part of the general testing
> guidelines
>    and can therefore be dropped.

I agree this might be better stated as the general test suite setup requirements.

> Other than this and the general comments on the style and presentation
> the
> tests seem fine.
>

> I haven't actually made any changes to tests yet (e.g. adding <link
> rel=reviewer>) because it is unclear to me whether these are the real
> source files of the tests and whether everyone is clear on the course
> of
> action. So I'll stick with simply emailing this list.

I am a little unclear on the next course of action here too. I know I will be updating the files on my side but I'm not sure how we want to handle updates on the files in subversion.

> I hope the tests in subversion are identical to the ones presented on
> http://samples.msdn.microsoft.com/ietestcenter/css.htm by the way since
> I've used both interchangeably in my review.

The tests are identical except for the file extension. The code is the same.

--
Thanks,
Arron Eicholz