Re: CSS2.1 i18n and bidi tests for review

On Friday 04 July 2008 14:20, Eira Monstad wrote:
> On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 14:09:38 +0200, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 July 2008 10:20, Eira Monstad wrote:
> >> I've been working on some bidi related tests for the 2.1
> >> testsuite, as well as converting a few of Richard Ishida's tests
> >> for language dependent styling to match the testsuite template.
> >> The tests are ready for review at
> >> http://people.opera.com/eiram/test/css21/review/
> >
> > I haven't checked everything, but I noticed one small problem in
> > the attribute selector tests: the "lang" attribute doesn't exist in
> > XHTML 1.1. The tests either need to use XHTML 1.0 or need to rename
> > "lang" to "xml:lang".
> >
> > (One may question why XHTML 1.1 isn't more backwards compatible,
> > but that's a different discussion.)
>
> This is a consequence of using the template at
> http://csswg.inkedblade.net/test/css2.1/format. The tests will
> automatically be converted to HTML format. If you check META
> name="flags" in the tests, you will (hopefully!) find that the tests
> that use the lang attribute are flagged as "HTMLonly". If you find
> the lang attribute in tests not flagged as HTMLonly, please let me
> know.

Sorry, I didn't look at the flags. I didn't notice anything
HTML-specific, so I just assumed the test was meant to be an XHTML
test.

I don't know how well the converter deals with invalid XML, but as far
as I know it's not actually validating, so an attribute that is invalid
but well-formed probably survives.

> > A problem of a different sort is that the test files use <!
> > [CDATA[...]]>. That is valid XHTML, but some browsers have trouble
> > with it. Because of that, and because it is a test for CSS support,
> > not XHTML support, I suggest removing the <![CDATA[...]]>. There is
> > nothing in the style sheets that needs escaping anyway.
>
> Normally I wouldn't include it, but I've been following the template
> given at http://csswg.inkedblade.net/test/css2.1/format
>
> Should the template be changed?

Or the converter could remove the CDATA section, the same way it already
does for HTML. (Or almost the same way: for HTML, it is enough to
remove the "<![CDATA[" and "]]>", for XHTML it would also have to
escape any <, > and &.)

On the other hand, one would hope that the amount of software that
claims XHTML support but doesn't handle CDATA would diminish over time
as well...

Bert