RE: Redesigned Test Harness Templates

fantasai wrote:

> There are two problems in IE7:
>    a) the bold paragraphs in select-tests.html need to be
>       left-aligned, not right-aligned
>    b) the .test element in run-test.html needs a height of
>       80%, not 100%.

If you could upload a revised version showing these changes,
we can run it through our quick browser test again. *

> I don't think it's
> necessary for IE6 and IE7 do render the harness perfectly.

In the sense that we know they aren't going to pass? Because
if we want as many testers as possible, it seems wise to
have the page look good on the 2 browsers that have half the
market.

> It was designed to look acceptable with CSS turned off

Actually, removing the CSS suggests several more changes:

1. put the <select> boxes under the radio buttons instead
   of to the side of them, to accommodate narrow displays
2. Put all the groups of radio buttons vertically, again to
   accommodate narrow displays.
3. The "I am testing" line gives an oddly worded second
   bullet item of "Something else User-agent string:".
   Perhaps add a period after "else"?

Finally, I think the ordering question would be more
correctly phrased in those terms, like:

"Present the tests so that:"
o  less-tested cases appear sooner
o  test cases appear in test suite order

since saying e.g. "Start with the first test in the group"
doesn't really say what happens after that.

Can anyone take a look to see how this page renders in the
latest IE8 beta?

thanks,
Matt

* Browsers we can test: IE6/WinXP, IE7/Vista, FF3/WinXP,
  FF3/Linux, Opera/WinXP, Safari3/WinXP, Opera9.51/WinXP,
  Safari3/Leopard, FF3/Leopard
--
Matt Bonner
Hewlett-Packard Company