Re: Convention for tests proving initial values?

Grant, Melinda wrote:
> I'm wondering if there is a de facto convention or if we should
> establish an explicit one for testing of initial values.  How many
> elements of the host language do we need to test to 'prove' an initial
> value is what the spec states?  All elements to which the property
> applies, for completeness?  One?  Something in between?

Just one, either <div> or <span>, should do. You shouldn't try to test
all elements, because the UA is allowed to set properties to other
values in its UA style sheet.

For inheritable properties you may need to set
   html, body, div {
     foo: inherit;
   }
to test the initial value.