Re: Additional flags needed

Arron Eicholz wrote:
>> fantasai wrote:
>
>>> Arron Eicholz wrote:
>>> Yes there is one more. What about the examples just before section
>> 17.3? Those are XML only
>>> examples and not valid HTML or XHTML. This is one of the times where
>> you need the XMLonly flag.
>>
>> You can test those by using div+class with the table display types.
>
> But the example is XML <HBOX> is not a standard tag in any XHTML or HTML.
> Yes this can be tested using div+class but then the example is different.
> Every example needs a test for it because this is the specific specified
> case that the spec says should work. If that isn't a valid example then
> it should be removed from the spec.

It is a valid example. But the capability that it's demonstrating could be
just as easily demonstrated with different tag names: it's demonstrating
table display, not tag selectors.

>> I don't see why the use of support files would need to be flagged
>> specially. What do you need the flag for?
>
> We have flags for all other file types (images, ahem, font) it seemed like
> it would make sense to also do the same for the cases that require additional
> support files like additional XHTML files in the case of frames. These flags
> are calling out prerequisites and since it is required that you have the
> support image file load in cases that use images I now have a case where my
> file is an XHTML file and it is required to load for the case to be correct.

The 'images' flag isn't flagging the use of a support file, it's flagging
the requirement for bitmap graphics support. Even if the graphic was provided
in a data: url, the test would still need the 'images' flag.

'ahem' is flagging the use of a very specific font. The reason it's flagged is
because the test is invalid if that font is not installed on the system. Some
systems (e.g. on mobile devices) can't install arbitrary fonts, and therefore
they will need to filter out those tests when running on the device.
'font' would likewise flagging the use of a very specific font (other than Ahem)
that needs to be installed on the system. It shouldn't be used if the test is
valid with other fonts.

It sounds like your test requires support for <frameset> or <iframe>. If someone
needs that information, we could create an index that lists which tests require
support for HTML beyond the very basics.