Re: Additional flags needed

Arron Eicholz wrote:
> I just noticed that the flags were updated on the wiki. I agree with the
> ‘nonHTML’ flag this is useful however there is still a need for the
> ‘XHTMLonly’ flag. I have also just discovered there is also a need to
> ‘XMLonly’ flag as well. Most of these issues show up in chapter 17 when
> working with tables. I think we should add these additional flags. Thoughts?

The special cases I see in the tables chapter are:

   # User agents may ignore these 'display' property values for HTML table elements,
   # since HTML tables may be rendered using other algorithms intended for backwards
   # compatible rendering.

I believe this exception should cover XHTML as well, since the descriptive use of
"HTML table elements" in the rest of the prose applies to XHTML table elements as
well. That probably needs clarification.

   # These rules do not apply to HTML 4 or earlier HTML versions
in section 17.5. This only applies to HTML, therefore HTMLonly is sufficient.

   # However, in HTML and XHTML1, the width of the <table> element is the distance
   # from the left border edge to the right border edge.

This is specific to the HTML/XHTML <table> element: it does not apply to div/span
tables within HTML/XHTML. So in this case we would have a <table> test, and also a
separate div/span test. In general I would assume that the use of any element other
than div/span/p indicates the test is specific to X/HTML.

So none of these require an XMLonly flag or an XHTMLonly flag. Were there others
you had in mind?

> Also we were wondering about ideas for a flag that identified that you
> have a supporting XHTML/HTML file. We currently use ‘file’ though I
> think it is too generic any suggestions here?

What do you mean by "a supporting XHTML/HTML file"?