Re: DIV overflow property

Bruno Melloni wrote:
> I could not find a W3C mailing list about the content of the CSS
> standard, so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong mailing list, if
> that is the case please point me to the correct mailing list.

Well, the public-css-testsuite list is for discussion about the test
suite, not general discussion about CSS.  www-style would be closer, but
neither of them are help desks and such questions  are off topic.

> First, are overflow:auto and overflow:scroll part of the CSS standard,

Yes.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#propdef-overflow

> I thought that it was part of CSS, but I was told by a Mozilla developer
> that it was part of "quirk mode", so I'm a bit confused.

He was probably referring to the differences in rendering between quirks
mode and standards mode.  Quirks mode is a mode that browsers have
implemented for backwards compatibility with obsolete browsers, such as
Netscape 4, IE5.x/Win and, in some cases, IE6.  Quirks mode or standards
mode are triggered by the DOCTYPE declaration (or lack thereof) in the
HTML document.  Look up "DOCTYPE Sniffing".

> Second, if they are part of the standard, [...]

I suggest you take this question to a more appropraite forum that can
help you with this.  Try CSS-Discuss or a newsgroup like
comp.infosystems.www.authoring.stylesheets

> to create a complex page (multiple nested tables, and scrolling DIVs)

That sounds more like a very messy page.  You should rarely have nested
tables, especially if they're being used for layout purposes.

> I ask because if Microsoft and Mozilla can't agree on an interpretation,
> the standard must obviously not be 100% clear in this area.

I generally wouldn't trust anything that MS have implemented to be
correct, IE hasn't been updated significantly since IE6 was released in
2001 and it's full of bugs.  If you're going to trust a browser for
deciding which rendering is correct, generally Firefox, Opera and Safari
are are more likely to be correct.  However, you must be aware that all
browsers are buggy and even those 3 get things wrong; so it's generally
a better idea to look up the specification (or at least a very good
tutorial), and learn how it should work.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/