Re: ::first-letter on inlines (ID #180)

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Tantek Çelik wrote:

>>> From 5.12.2:
>>>
>>>     "The :first-letter pseudo-element applies to block, list-item,
>>>     table-cell, table-caption and inline-block elements."
>>>
>>> I think the test is indeed wrong.
>>
>> Oh, right, this is one of the things we changed at one point. The
>> current selectors CR says it applies to all elements; the next draft
>> (and 2.1) says it doesn't.
>>
>> Test fixed.
>
> I thought the working group decided that this was a legitimate
> *addition* in Selectors (but not in 2.1).

We discussed this at the telecon. The consensus was to make :first-letter
only apply to block-level elements in Selectors this time, for simplicity
reasons, consistency with 2.1 which is being published around the same
time, lack of strong use cases, and because it was felt that had a higher
chance of being interoperably implemented. However, it was left open as to
whether we would return to letting :first-letter apply to all elements in
a future release of the Selectors specification.