Re: Error in CSS1 test §7.1 (CSS2 language selector)

* Tantek Çelik wrote:
>> An element inherits language code information according to the following
>> order of precedence (highest to lowest):

>>     * User agent default values and user preferences.

>Since logically that last bullet point doesn't make any sense (since it has
>nothing to do with the document), the better course of action is to still
>file the bug, but also point out the problem with the spec, and file an
>errata against HTML4 (stating that last bullet point doesn't make sense and
>should be stricken), or actually...

There are user agents that need to determine a language even if the
author did not specify one, examples would include speech synthesis
and text search as performed by search engines; the bullet point in
the HTML 4.01 Recommendation allows for such applications which is
a good thing since otherwise such applications would be either use-
less (most web sites do not specify a language) or non-conforming.
I am not sure how that would make more sense to you.