Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] The spec should not allow UAs to ignore user-installed fonts (#5421)

From: Myles C. Maxfield via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 17:11:19 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
@astearns

> there is consensus that allowing a user agent to ignore user-installed fonts with no usable opt-in is too extreme.

I don't agree with this. WebKit is certainly interested in refining its balance between internationalization and privacy, but that isn't the same as saying no UA should ever pick either of the extremes. Some UAs have very strong internationalization goals, and other browsers have very strong privacy goals.

I would agree with you if some content was becoming unreadable _for no benefit_. But there is a benefit here, and so it becomes a cost/benefit analysis problem. All options should be on the table, even if we expect that most UAs won't choose one of the options.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by litherum
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5421#issuecomment-709467242 using your GitHub account