Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] The spec should not allow UAs to ignore user-installed fonts (#5421)

From: Alan Stearns via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2020 17:03:39 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
The spec said nothing, but there was (and is) a common understanding that user agents could and would match user-installed fonts. Yes, this was under-specified. But we had rough interoperability on user-installed fonts until WebKit changed. Adding the possibility that user-installed fonts could be ignored was a *new* thing.

Since the edit was pointed out, we have had lots of discussions about the benefits and drawbacks of what’s in the spec. I think there is consensus that allowing a user agent to ignore user-installed fonts with no usable opt-in is too extreme. I do think the current MAY statement was premature, because it explicitly allows that extreme behavior.

So I support the edit you have made. And I support continuing to discuss usable opt-in scenarios so we can get back to having a normative statement we can all agree on.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by astearns
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5421#issuecomment-709462411 using your GitHub account