Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] The spec should not allow UAs to ignore user-installed fonts (#5421)

From: r12a via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 12:45:50 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
For me, i think it comes down to this: User agents may pick a position along the internationalisation<->privacy tension line to propose to the user by default, but they shouldn't take decisions for the user that the user can't _easily_ change.

And in the case of fonts, although an all-on/all-off switch might be useful too, i think this generally means the user being able to choose which user-installed fonts work on a font-by-font basis.

One problem is that the user is not likely to be aware what font the content author is trying to apply.  That's why i had suggested elsewhere an approach like we have for cookies, that warns the user if the page is trying to use a font that is not already enabled by them, and asks then remembers whether they want to enable it for this and future pages.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by r12a
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5421#issuecomment-710023243 using your GitHub account