Re: [csswg-drafts] [web-animations-1] commitStyles would be more useful / performant if it committed when animation was replaced / finished. (#5475)

From: Brian Birtles via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2020 02:03:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I think this might be a dupe of #5394 ?

> If it's not too late, I propose that commitStyles should commit the effect value when the effect is removed (whether by replacement, finishing, or canceling).

I think that's not what we want? When the fill mode is empty, if the animation finishes, the value of the effect is empty?

> * have commitStyles commit the last animation value (e.g. the final position before the animation finished).

I also think that's not what we want since, if I understand the suggestion correctly, it would end up being frame-rate dependent.

> * Add a "commit" fill mode which implicitly commits the animation on completion.

That's an interesting idea, although I'm a little wary of extending fill modes since they're already problematic enough. It also does feel like a bit of a layering violation. Fill modes just affect the output of the timing model, they shouldn't affect the behavior of the animation (especially once you have nested effects).

An alternative from #5394 is to add a flag to `commitStyles()` that applies the appropriate fill mode.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by birtles
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/5475#issuecomment-681291614 using your GitHub account