[csswg-drafts] [css-grid-1] Interpolating track listings

From: fantasai via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 22:23:55 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
fantasai has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-grid-1] Interpolating track listings ==
Currently grid-template-rows/columns interpolate “per computed value”, which means that if the number of tracks differs, or any track changes to/from a particular keyword value to any other value, or if a line name is added/removed at any position, the entire track listing is interpolated as “discrete”. But we have some more granular options:

- Check interpolation type per track, rather than for the entire list, before falling back to discrete. I.e. a length-percentage track can animate between two values while an adjacent auto track flips discretely to min-content.
- Allow discrete interpolation of line name changes independently of track sizes.
- Allow interpolation of mismatched track list lengths, by filling in missing values from `grid-auto-rows/columns`.

Wanted to hear back from implementers what they think is reasonable here. CC @MatsPalmgren @mrego @javifernandez @birtles

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/3201 using your GitHub account