Re: [csswg-drafts] [web-animations-1] Should async playback methods return the `ready` Promise?

From: Brian Birtles via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 05:05:26 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
We (Apple, Google, Mozilla) discussed this back in March. Minutes as follows:

> * Problem is that if we do this, exceptions that threw exceptions now start to return rejected Promises.
Is that ok? useable? compatible?
> * The console still logs them, which is good. (Chrome, Firefox?, Safari?)
>
> **Decision:** we want to do this, but need to decide if we want to get data on it or not.
>
> * https://www.chromestatus.com/metrics/feature/timeline/popularity/555
> * reverse() is used ~0.0001% of page views--and presumably the number of calls that throw exceptions is far less still
> * Not being able to easily distinguish between aborting and errors is just a consequence of abandoning cancelable promises on the Web platform.

Usage of `reverse()` seems to have spiked since then, but is still only 0.008% and, again, presumably the number of calls that throw is far far less than that.

Based on that, I'm going to go and merge the relevant PR.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by birtles
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/2206#issuecomment-398625298 using your GitHub account