Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] [varfont] Italic & Oblique benefit from not including a <number>

From: jfkthame via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 15:58:26 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
> Do you know of any platform or app that would synthesize slant at varying angles?

Skimming comments at https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/questions/42412/how-do-i-italicize-fonts-that-dont-have-an-italic-variant-in-illustrator, it seems that InDesign offers a Skew option in the Character palette. And people then start discussing the exact angles they prefer...

It's also been possible for years in XeTeX, which allows a font to be loaded with a specific slant factor.

I expect some type designers will be horrified, but given that `font-style:oblique` allows the author to request a specific `angle`, why *wouldn't* we respect that when synthesizing a slanted face?

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jfkthame
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/519#issuecomment-402207339 using your GitHub account