[csswg-drafts] [css-display][css-ruby] Does inlinification really need recursion?

From: Loirooriol via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 16:16:00 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Loirooriol has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-display][css-ruby] Does inlinification really need recursion? ==
CSS Display defines [inlinification](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-display-3/#inlinify) as such:

I think it makes more sense to transform the `flow` inner display type into `flow-root`. That is, transform `block` to `inline-block`. Then the box will be an [atomic inline](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-display-3/#atomic-inline), and thus block-level descendants won't break up the inline formatting context. Recursive inlinification is not needed.

This seems what Firefox does for ruby. Chrome and Edge don't inlinify at all. https://jsfiddle.net/d1o5k7Ly/1/

It's worth noting that [CSS Ruby](https://drafts.csswg.org/css-ruby-1/#anon-gen-inlinize) says "directly contained"

> Inlinize block-level boxes: Any in-flow block-level boxes directly contained by a ruby container, ruby base container, ruby annotation container, ruby base box, or ruby annotation box are forced to be inline-level boxes, and their display value computed accordingly.

By the way, are inlinization and inlinification synonyms?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/1341 using your GitHub account