Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] [varfonts] May want different properties for font matching and variation value

From: Florian Rivoal via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 00:42:08 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
I agree this is an issue. One example of a situation where this is a
problem is when an author wants to use multiple fonts with different
unicode coverage. The weights at which the fonts are visually a good
match is not necessarily when the numeric value of font weight is the
same.

With traditional fonts pairing font faces that match visually, and
mapping them onto the same font weight number for usage in the
stylesheet is easy.

Regardless of the syntax we end up with, we need to the same ability
for variable fonts.

 - Florian

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/528#issuecomment-249737435