[csswg-drafts] [css-fonts-4] May want different properties for font matching and variation value

From: Xidorn Quan via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 10:13:11 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
upsuper has just created a new issue for
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts:

== [css-fonts-4] May want different properties for font matching and
variation value ==
Before we have variable fonts, `font-weight` property is only used for
 font matching, and thus authors can map a weight to whatever font
face they want regardless of the designed weight of the font.

However, with variable fonts, `font-weight` property is now used for
both font matching and choosing value for variation, which means
authors lose the ability describe above.

I suppose this applies to other properties involving font matching as
well, e.g. `font-style`, `font-stretch`.

(I'm not sure whether it is an important issue, though, since I'm not
a typical frontend developer or designer.)

cc @litherum @nattokirai

Please view or discuss this issue at
https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/528 using your GitHub
account