Re: [csswg-drafts] [css-syntax] '>>' and '>>>' should be a token

From: Tab Atkins Jr. via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2016 20:08:33 +0000
To: public-css-archive@w3.org
Ugh, hit Comment too soon.

> Therefore `>/**/>/**/>` is allowed to mean a `>>>` combinator, but
probably it does not make any sense.

I don't think this is a reasonable argument.  `./**/foo` is a valid
class selector, `:/**/hover` is a valid pseudo-class selector.  On the
 other hand, `#/**/foo` is not a valid ID selector, and
`:nth-child/**/(2n)` is not a valid pseudo-class selector.  In other
words, whether comments are allowed in a given spot is already mostly
irrelevant, and just falls out of accidental details of the grammar
definition. We don't actually consider it when designing anything, and
 so it shouldn't affect our thinking here either.

So, back to my original argument: *if* it's important that Selectors
remain LR(1), then we need to add two new tokens to handle the
combinators. If it's not, we don't and shouldn't, and should go ahead
and remove the other special combinators too.

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/712#issuecomment-263379608