Re: Seeking some info

On 2/12/23 14:10, Bob Wyman wrote:
> . . .
> Current law, in many jurisdictions, now protects individuals from
> government abridgement of rights. But those same laws usually don't
> protect us from abridgements which result from contractual
> relationships between individuals and corporations.

Agreed, and people are so conditioned to mindlessly accept ridiculously
long click-through agreements, that companies could easily have people
signing away their entire digital identities without knowing it.

Case in point: Last I looked, indeed.com's click-through agreement was a
whopping 100 pages!!!  At an average of $300/hour for an attorney, it
would cost a consumer thousands of dollars just to have it reviewed.

Big companies and consumers do NOT have equal bargaining power in
negotiating these click-through agreements.  The "free market" doesn't
work when the parties do not have equal bargaining power.  That's why we
have anti-trust laws to regulate monopolies, and why we need similar
laws regarding click-through agreements.

David Booth