Re: Seeking some info

Thanks for the challenge, Moses, and your attempt at a structure for
prediction and comment.

The structure has 2 dimensions: Metaverse (one concept) and contexts (14
separate). Humans remain our analog selves and are impacted by digital
elements bit-by-bit (sic) in a digital continuum you're calling the
Metaverse. Digital credentials and other assets become table stakes for
human participation in the metaverse across maybe all 14 contexts.

To your Question 1, I think DIDs have little to do with the digital future.
In the digitized human framing, DIDs are important for remote
authentication in the metaverse, but as a standard, they already have
competition and I expect the diversity of digital identifier "standards" to
expand in new dimensions. In-person biometrics are an obvious
standardization opportunity and can be decentralized and self-sovereign.
On-line biometrics may be more difficult to standardize in a decentralized
way, but DIDs haven't solved that problem either.

That leaves the VCs in Question 1.  The non-converging discussions on
holder binding and @context are showing us the boundaries of standardizing
the digital credentials of humans. The success of VCs for things will have
limited impact on the metaverse. After all, how much of the cost of goods
is attributable to customs and border protection and then how much of that
would impact the metaverse as you frame it?

The W3C that I've experienced seems particularly ill-suited to work on the
metaverse. MIT's exit does not seem surprising. As a community, CCG and
related efforts would be much more important if they could figure out how
to stay away from human contexts including the metaverse.

- Adrian