RE: RWOT Holder Binding paper got published

Oliver, all,

This is great work that deserves further development at W3C-CCG, hopefully leading to a technical specification.

I am missing a discussion on “level-of-assurance” at the issuer side. Suppose a verifier receives a VC with the following binding property, then what does that mean?
[cid:image004.png@01D937C0.B43019C0]
At this moment, the following remains unclear.

  *   Has the issuer actually verified the physical person or legal entity that is the subject of the VC, and with what level-of-assurance?
  *   Has the issuer performed an in-person verification of the person + passport, conformant to the “eIDAS high” level of assurance?
  *   Has the issuer checked that the portrait corresponds with the face of the physical person?
  *   Has the issuer performed these checks at a physical location, or over the internet?
  *   Had the issuer perform the verification by a human being or by an automated system?
And can the provenance of that verification be established?
  *   Did the verification include proof-of-liveliness?
  *   Has verification been performed on each binding property, or have any been provided by the subject without further verification?
  *   What are the assurances that all three binding properties are about the same subject?
  *   Within what legal framework has the verification by the issuer taken place? (E.g. Europe eIDAS, PIPEDA Canada, ...)
  *   ... likely more level-of-assurance-related questions ...

Best regards,

Oskar