Re: RWOT Holder Binding paper got published

On Thu, Feb 2, 2023 at 5:24 PM Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
wrote:

> Thanks for this!
>
> It seems like a naive interpretation of "holder binding" is ... a
> credential / claim bound to a specific key.

Yes, in our paper, this is still a possible option and probably one of the
most common once I have seen in applications.

> Instead of binding to a "generic subject" the binding is to a specific key
> (possibly in hardware or software isolation).
>
> Is that correct?

Yes, the binding is to a specific "identifier" which can be a key. For the
sake of this paper we used our definition for "identifier" (which includes
a public key). *We DO NOT want to start a discussion on terminology here on
the CCG mailing list*. When reading the paper, please just bear with us and
keep in mind we used the following definitions:

Identifier
Data that is used for the purpose of recognizing a (real world) entity,
typically to distinguish it from other entities in some set. The data is
typically in the form of characters (or attribute sets), but could also
take the form of audio (speech), pictures (portrait), etc., or a
combination of those.

Identifier Binding
The situation in which there is an identifier that a particular party has
bound to some entity that it knows to exist, and has specified one or more
means that other parties can use to identify and/or authenticate that
entity. Such means are typically specified as part of a VC.