Re: Universal signature verifier

On 5/4/22 2:01 PM, Julien Fraichot wrote:
> In my ideal world it’d be a service to which we can send a VC, and where
> the pipeline decides to which Verification Suite to address that document.
> Again, ideally most or all of the signature suites defined here could be
> verifiable: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/security-vocab

Remember that there is active work happening around the VC Verifier API. That
endpoint can receive a VC and can do verification:

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/vc-api-verifier-test-suite/#conformance

We have per-cryptosuite tests as well (and expect to have more as the VC2WG
progresses):

https://w3c-ccg.github.io/di-ed25519-test-suite/#Ed25519Signature2020%20(verifier)

So, creating a proxy service that looks just like the VC Verifier API but then
passes the request to various VC Verifier APIs (that support specific
cryptosuites) would be another way to create a "Universal Verifier"... rather
than trying to put all of that into the same code base.

It wouldn't be a very heavy lift for the community to put that site together
and for the people/organizations in this community to "donate" some VC API
Verifier endpoints to provide certain cryptosuite verifications that their
software supports:

https://github.com/w3c-ccg/vc-api-test-suite-implementations/tree/main/implementations

We have 7 implementers of some variations of the VC API so far and I expect
that we all support a greater number of cryposuites together as a group rather
than as individual organizations.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/