Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

Hi Joe, I think you made a very interesting comment and I wanted to call it out as I think it may be very helpful in focusing this discussion:

> If you're saying the issuer wants to also be a verifier, that's fine. But lets not conflate the two. Acting as an issuer has a different set of responsibilities than acting as a verifier.

So, what are the responsibilities for an Issuer?
And for a Verifier?

Should we come up with a set of (high level) criteria/responsibilities/guidance for these roles? Maybe if we can clarify this a bit, then we can look at the wallets/protocol responsibilities to match…

Something like:

  *   Issuers that expect their credentials to be useful only for the subject they are issued to need to pay close attention to holder software capabilities for subject authentication, private key protection, and portability between holder software (versions and vendors).
  *   Issuers that expect their credentials to be userful in conjunction with other forms of subject binding (for example a bearer token wrt. Birth certificate needs to be presented with other forms of ID) are less restricted on their holder software choices.
  *   Issuers that expect their credentials to be used in a pseudonymous manner (where the holder software does not become a source of cross-domain tracking) must consider holder software that supports that feature
  *   Issuers should expect their subject base to have a range of wallet software available to them, and therefore should support protocols that enable the Issuer to ‘discover’ the wallet (and vise-versa) as opposed to direct holder software integrations. Open discovery protocols also allow Issuers to scale with the ecosystem as it grows.
  *   …

Would folks find these kinds of criteria useful in the discussion – or is it a distraction? (ie, we’ve already figured this out so it is a wasted exercise, or any protocol we come up with should meet all criteria everywhere ever so nvm…) ?

(note I am deliberately focusing on “personal” credentials as the topic is related to OIDC).

Thanks,

MV