Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022, at 9:31 AM, Orie Steele wrote:
> Great news!
>
> You can choose from 3 browsers and 4 operating systems.

Funny, I use a dedicated hardware device for my wallet. Seems you aren't thinking through how these cryptographic systems actually secure themselves.

Yes, if you want to defer to keeping keys on a general purpose computer, you get stuck in the security and trust issues of those platforms. Just like horse-drawn carriages were stuck with the problems of managing horses.

Decentralized cryptographic tools are a lot like automobiles. Basically nobody had them before they were invented and we had to simultaneously develop cars as a new transportation mechanism along the same rights of way, even in a world dominated by horses. Yes, decentralized cryptography has its issues, but they are not the same issues as those systems which defer to a central authority. So, yes, if you try to build your decentralized identity solutions in a manner that is secured by your desktop or laptop or even phone, you are limited to the trust & security of those platforms. So don't do that.

Instead, I encourage you to help us define these systems to avoid that trust bottleneck wherever it can be. Use a ledger. Or a Yubikey. Or a LetheKit if you're advanced enough.

Standards that leverage this new architecture are definitely forward looking, a bit like planning an interstate highway system before the Model T was released. It seems crazy and has so many questions you can barely get started. Eventually we'll figure out how different vehicles can interoperate in a decentralized way: what signage is important, what functionality is required for safety, how to insure against risk, and even where we are going to build all the necessary gas stations. That's the work. Our work.

Sounds like you're giving up the fight before you even tried, Orie.

There are ways to build out this ecosystem that don't rely on trusted third parties. Help us with that work and we can go far. No system is perfect, but any system can be made better. The fundamental thesis of this work is that liberty matters more than the harmony of centralized authority. I'll stand on that principle against unnecessary centralization every time.

In contrast, if you attempt to co-op the work to enshrine centralized power dynamics, you'll pull us into debates and arguments you cannot win, because *we* know we don't need those kinds of solutions and that is why we are here. It *is* a hill we are willing to die on.

Are you willing to do the same to argue we should just accept BigTech as our trusted overseers?

Because if you are we might just both die on this hill rather than actually ship standards that change the world.

-j

 <https://www.transmute.industries/>

--
Joe Andrieu, PMP                                                                              joe@legreq.com
LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS                                                        +1(805)705-8651