Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

On 3/22/22 2:51 PM, Orie Steele wrote:
> I'm not trolling, you can't just focus on building apps and app layer
> protocols... you need to focus on the full software supply chain to
> prevent abuse.

Ok, I get (most) of what you were saying now, thanks for the clarification.

> No, but ... we need to acknowledge where vendor lock in exists before we
> can address it seriously.

Yes, agreed.

> Implementing more web apis that offer access to devices is critical to
> enabling healthy competition at the layers beyond the hardware and the
> OS... That Mozilla and Apple are so strongly opposed to this is creating a
> market pressure that is driving secure use cases away from the web
> platform... If that's because it's impossible to secure the web platform
> if it has good general purpose device APIs, that's understandable, but if
> instead that's happening to drive more users into native apps or because
> browser vendors can't afford to implement secure device apis based on open
> standards, that's a problem... and not one solved by building more apps or
> app layer protocols.

Yes, all good points/questions.

> If we can get OIDC to penetrate to these lower layers, it's worth it IMO,
> armies travel both directions on roads.

Can you elaborate on this point more? How do we "get OIDC to penetrate to
these lower layers"?

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/