Re: List function question/problem --

On 3/20/22 3:24 PM, Steven Rowat wrote:
> Are posts to this list normally sent back to the original poster as well
> as the list?

No, I don't think they are. At least, I don't get postings of my original
email. I see them pop up via the mailing list.

> I ask because for years I was getting my own emails sent back to me, but
> that stopped some months ago. I don't know if this omission is just for my
> address, or if it's happening to others also.

As far as I know, nothing has changed w/ how I get notified that my email went
through to any W3C mailing list. I've never gotten a "confirmation receipt"
style email.

You /might/ be thinking that you've been getting one because, IF someone
responds to you AND the mailing list, you will get two emails. Sometimes, when
you "Reply All" some email clients will include your email in the "To:" line
and some email servers w/ blindly follow that hint and send your email back to
you. Email is funny like that. :)

> This behaviour is making me reluctant to get into active list discussions,
> because I don't know when my email has arrived and whose seen it when.

One way to know for sure is to go here and look for your email:

https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2022Mar/

It's usually delayed by 15-30 minutes (this is a big mailing list, and W3C has
LOTS of them -- takes time to process the very heavy email volume W3C has to
deal with).

> I've nosed around on the CCG web pages, and my W3C account, but can't find
> any place where there's a setting that would cause this.

There might be one... W3C uses hypermail as their list management software:

http://www.hypermail-project.org/hypermail.html

... but that said, I've never had a problem receiving your emails via the
mailing list that I can remember, Steven, and I got this one... so you're
probably good to go.

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/