Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

Sorry for this long / ranty email on web platform capabilities... But
Anders' email triggered me :) ... mostly because of how right he is.

For folks wondering about web-nfc, and using it for general purpose
protocols beyond NDEF.... https://github.com/w3c/web-nfc/issues/578

WebNFC and WebBluetooth are both well supported by Chrome...  and
pretty much only Chrome.

- https://web.dev/nfc/ - https://caniuse.com/?search=nfc
- https://web.dev/bluetooth/ - https://caniuse.com/?search=bluetooth

Apple does not believe in many web standards, for privacy reasons... but
also its financially beneficial for them to drive developers to native
mobile apps.

-
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1334270-google-chromes-web-standards-lead-criticizes-apples-argument-that-web-apps-can-replace-iphone-apps/

Advertising is the life blood of the web (and mobile?) platform.

Google owns the web, and Apple owns mobile, they use standards
organizations to protect their existing positions and platforms, you can't
really blame them for this.

Chrome for Android does not let you block ads, I'm sure Safari mobile will
be instrumented similarly now that Apple and Google are going to be
competing in the mobile ads space.

FireFox for Android does allow you to block ads...  Although I'm not sure
for how much longer that will be the case, I'm sure turning off that
capability is worth enough to be sold for something... I don't envy
Mozilla's position competing against both Apple and Google, and with no
hardware footprint.

-
https://www.businessinsider.com/facebook-blames-apple-10-billion-loss-ad-privacy-warning-2022-2

-
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnkoetsier/2021/10/19/apples-ad-network-is-the-biggest-beneficiary-of-apples-new-marketing-rules-report/?sh=4c978bc077a0

On my cynical days (like today), Standards are not built for "web users",
they are built for platform owners, and whoever owns the platform owns the
first party data from it, and the first opportunities to monetize that
data.... and they add new standards, when they think they can make more
money from them... or prevent a competitor from making money.

Imagine pitching universal ad blocking to the W3C... Imagine trying to
standardize a web browser feature that destroyed monetization capabilities
for first party platform providers... That would probably be a lot harder
than agreeing on how to destroy monetization capabilities for 3rd parties
or how to track users without 3rd party cookies, for the purpose of
authentication... https://www.w3.org/community/fed-id/

I would love to see the "web platform" be more decentralized, but I don't
think the current market trends are signaling that is the direction it is
headed.

You can't blame web browsers for seeking to protect their own interests, I
think the main problems arise when those same players that have dominance
in, for example, web platform, also have dominance in, for example, mobile
os platform, but the rent seeking / monetization opportunities in mobile
are better, it's hard to argue against financial forces of nature.

It takes time to invest in new standards, and add support for them, and you
have to ask why would a major software / hardware provider invest in
something which might harm their ability to compete.

And without support from the large players, how effective will a new web
standard be?
Sure you can make a new browser and add support for the feature, but if
nobody uses your browser, it's like the standard never existed.

With respect to Chrome, I have to say, I love it... and I love that Google
puts such effort into implementing new standards.

Google also benefits from implementing web standards more than any other
browser vendor, it's how they keep developers like myself singing their
praises on mailing lists like this :)

But I also fear that in the future, when Chrome has 99.9% of the browser
market, Google will think of Android the way that Apple thinks of iOS, and
the last and greatest open standards compliant web browser (Chrome) will be
used to funnel users out of the web platform into pay to play app stores,
and de facto monopolies built on hardware supply chain / firmware
control... where competition costs are insurmountable.

Long live the open, competitive, and at times deeply offensive and
unsuitable for ad monetization web platform that I grew up with.

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*
Chief Technical Officer