Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 3:01 PM Orie Steele <orie@transmute.industries>
wrote:

> WebNFC and WebBluetooth are both well supported by Chrome...  and
> pretty much only Chrome.
>
> - https://web.dev/nfc/ - https://caniuse.com/?search=nfc
> - https://web.dev/bluetooth/ - https://caniuse.com/?search=bluetooth
>
> Apple does not believe in many web standards, for privacy reasons... but
> also its financially beneficial for them to drive developers to native
> mobile apps.

Additional color:

Mozilla's position on Web NFC being harmful:
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/238
Mozilla's position on Web Bluetooth being harmful:
https://github.com/mozilla/standards-positions/issues/95

I state this because many arguments about Apple refusing to implement
standards are really about Chromium being the only browser engine which
implements some non-standardized API.

-DW

distribution or disclosure by others is strictly prohibited.  If you have
computer. Thank you._