Re: Centralization dangers of applying OpenID Connect to wallets protocols (was: Re: 2022-2026 Verifiable Data Standards Roadmap [DRAFT])

On 2022-03-18 19:14, Dmitri Zagidulin wrote:
>  > In your opinion, does SIOP help with the NASCAR problem?
>
> So, I can definitely speak to this -- No, SIOP does not solve the NASCAR problem, unfortunately. And this has to do with the limitation OS vendors enforce, both on mobile devices and on the desktop. There are two problems with the current `openid://` / custom protocol handler approach.
>
> 1. Terrible initial UX. Meaning, if a typical user clicks on an openid:// URL on the desktop or on mobile, and they don't have an app installed that handles it, NOTHING HAPPENS. Literally nothing happens. There's no smooth guiding to a marketplace to install a handler, or anything like that. But this is a minor inconvenience, compared to the next one.
>
> 2. If more than one app is registered as a handler for openid://, and a user clicks on the link, the behavior is /undefined/ (at least on IOS).
> And this is a very well understood problem in the SIOP community -- if you look at the SIOP v2 spec, https://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-self-issued-v2-1_0-03.html#section-7.5.1 <https://openid.net/specs/openid-connect-self-issued-v2-1_0-03.html#section-7.5.1>:
> "Usage of custom schemas [like openid://] as a way to invoke a Self-Issued OP may lead to phishing attacks and undefined behavior. ... Any malicious app can register the custom schema already used by another app, imitate the user interface and impersonate a good app. When more than one Self-issued OP with the same custom schema has been installed on one device, the behavior of Self-Issued OP is undefined."
>
> This is a huge problem, that the community is still strugglign to solve.

According to the W3C TAG, calling native apps from the Web should be abolished.  Effectively WebAuthn is the only endorsed way to securely authenticate over the Web.

Equally problematic is the Mobile to Desktop/Web interface where the W3C concluded that using WebAuthn + the device-specific cloud service + BLE (aka CABLE) is the way to go. I suggested years ago using NFC to deliver secure URLs but the Web-NFC folks claimed that there is no valid use case so for those who do not buy into WebAuthn, clunky and phishing-vulnerable QR code is the only universal alternative.  NFC has subsequently (and logically) been removed from the PC concept altogether.

Anders