Re: DID methods as W3C standards - a happy compromise?

thanks manu,

I recognise it was a wall of text - driven by some frustration i'll
admit..  So this response is much shorter.

I thought I was largely very negative about almost all DLT based dids (ie I
said I'd forget about private ledgers and the big public ledgers and all
the various smaller ledgers including veres one). I'm interested (please
maybe) to see that you are even more negative - ie just stick to did:web
and did:key).  To your points

   - Rationale for did:dns was just that it will be inherently much higher
   availability than did:web because it depends on global dns and not on a
   specific website.  Maybe I'm wrong here but i still suspect there might be
   valid use cases for did:dns over did:web.  I dont know yet and maybe you're
   right - just use did web.
   - I should have been clearer about metadata in did documents. Of course
   I would never recommend that any private data or commercially sensitive
   data be put in publically accessible documents.  All I meant was that SOME
   use cases do benefit from the discoverability of further information via
   service end point references. whether the data at that end point is also
   public depends on the use case - for example product metadata keyed via a
   barcode might make perfect sense to be public. maybe even where's my
   consignment information accessible only if you know the
   otherwise un-gessable did these are just reflections of how the world works
   today.  more sensitive data would obviously be encrypted or behind some
   kind of authentication/authorisation.
   - But, once you accept that there are valid use cases for dids that
   identity "things" and usefully offer further service discovery then you are
   a bit stuck if you only limit yourself to did web and did key.  The first
   requires too much website maintenance (plus the identity is a "thing" like
   a consignment and not an entity with a domain name) and the second doesn't
   support service end-points.  So, whilst I accept your point that things
   like did:ion did:iota etc are very early in their lifecycle and
   haven't seen any serious use yet - and therefore should be approached with
   caution, we will still prototype and experiment with them so that we can
   discover for ourselves all strengths and weaknesses and thereby build a
   better informed decision tree on when and how they could/should be used.
   - and, for the same reason, we'll be experimenting with did:ipld which I
   think likely has some promise.

So, I still don't really see a reason to change my list (assuming we are
clear about the mis-communication around private data in public
documents).  But we do have a lot of experimentation and analysis ahead -
particularly to identify and mitigate security concerns.  When we've done
that we'll be pleased to share it here for further criticism - as that's
the best way to avoid silly mistakes.  Also, hopefully goes without saying,
nothing goes into production use without a very solid security assessment &
testing process.

kind regards,

--
Steve Capell