Re: DID methods as W3C standards - a happy compromise?

On Fri, Mar 4, 2022 at 8:27 AM Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
wrote:

> This goes for /every/ DLT-based DID Method out there -- even the one we're
> working on. I am highly sceptical of anyone that says that /any/ DID
> Method is
> ready for production usage at present.

Agreed — as one of the proponents of DLTs (in particular permissionless
public ones) none are mature enough yet for production.

Putting anything other than keys in a DID Document requires careful
> consideration and thought that I'm not seeing many of these DID Method
> implementers doing.

i absolutely agree with Manu on this. I’m even skeptical of anything public
in VC or endpoints that might make them even in the slighted publicly
correlatable.

I think the fundamental flaw in your thinking at present, Steve, is trusting
> DLT-based DID Methods too early. They are important, and they'll have their
> day, but not this year... until then, did:key and did:web can carry a lot
> of
> water.

I’d really to see did:onion added to this list somehow this year. Basically
functions a lot like did:web but without DNS or certs hierarchy, but is
permissionless like did:key.

— Christopher Allen