Re: CBOR-LD for VC

On 2/14/22 4:15 PM, Dmitri Zagidulin wrote:
> I don't think the new version of CBOR-LD has any component of, or relation
> to, IPLD.

No version of CBOR-LD ever had any relation to IPLD. That doesn't mean IPLD
couldn't be used in a CBOR-LD (or JSON-LD payload); it's just that there is no
dependency.

Verifiable Credentials and DIDs do make heavy use of IPFS data models and
protocols such as multibase, multihash, and multicodec. We do that largely
because since those values are self-describing, we can take advantage of that
fact in CBOR-LD and provide the maximum amount of binary compression possible.

In any case, CBOR-LD's only dependency is on JSON-LD. Here's a refresher for
how it works anyone that's interested:

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1ksh-gUdjJJwDpdleasvs9aRXEmeRvqhkVWqeitx5ZAE/edit

https://www.digitalbazaar.com/