Re: Mozilla Formally Objects to DID Core

Chiming in w a less technical view; I share the perspective that all 4
objection points are not sufficiently compelling.

Building on Orie's reply, some of the objecting companies are not just
using the very technologies they're objecting to (see their use of
Minespider for conflict mineral tracking which appears to use an ETH-based
blockchain; <https://www.minespider.com/blockchain-technology> ETH is still
POW with transition plans to POS in motion). IMHO, they are using the
environmental argument in a way that hand-waves over the nuance of this
issue.

*Food for thought:* due to the highly competitive nature of POW mining,
operations are increasingly selecting sites that are in areas where there
is excess stranded energy in order to access the cheapest electricity
prices. Wind and solar are the cheapest forms of energy generation, but
suffer from intermittency which can cause stability issues for the grid.
Bitcoin mining is a "flexible load" and can help to stabilize grids with
large amounts of renewables - enabling more renewable energy
development. Square’s
recent whitepaper outlines these dynamics
<https://assets.ctfassets.net/2d5q1td6cyxq/5mRjc9X5LTXFFihIlTt7QK/e7bcba47217b60423a01a357e036105e/BCEI_White_Paper.pdf>.
Bitcoin miners are doing this today - like my friends at HODL Ranch
<https://www.hodlranch.io/> here in Texas (where we are desperately aware
of the need for grid stabilization).

Core to Transmute's founding mission is the belief that DIDs coupled with
VCs are a better way for organizations to prove/showcase their positive
societal contributions - whether that's proving sustainable/low
environmental impact processing of raw materials or proving ethical labor
practices. Likewise, pragmatic application of DIDs and VCs can help us hold
companies and governments accountable to honest, truthful performance in
these arenas. Now, you certainly don't need a public blockchain - or a
blockchain at all - in order to use DIDs or VCs, and our team has been a
leading advocate for ensuring these technologies are interoperable
regardless of ledger use. But when you *do* want to use a blockchain, the
environmental impact debate requires recognition of nuance and is certainly
not a sufficient argument against the progress of DIDs.

Best,
--

*KARYL FOWLER*Chief Executive Officer
www.transmute.industries