Re: Mozilla Formally Objects to DID Core

It would have been really easy to only support `publicKeyJwk` if we had
only JSON representations...

Sadly, we have an Abstract Data Model and a registry for representations
with `did+json` and `did+ld+json` being the most popular... and some folks
objecting to JWK on the grounds that it's a footgun since it defines a way
to represent a private key... "d".... (and ignoring that
`privateKeyMulibase` is already a thing...)

This has been discussed many times by the WG, and I have generally agreed
with the position that Mike Jones from Microsoft and other JWK supporters
have held.... I think everyone should use JWK when representing keys in
JSON...

Long story short, if you are a conservative developer you can in fact use
`did+json` that is the same as `did+ld+json` and also uses JWK...

If you want to experiment with non standard key formats you can also do
that... in a way that allows for interoperability... with or without JSON
or JSON-LD...

This behavior in DID Core was derived from
https://github.com/microsoft/api-guidelines/blob/vNext/Guidelines.md#6-client-guidance

We discussed how to support extensibility and interoperability without
being bound to a single representation... extensively... It would have been
exceedingly easier to just use JSON and call it a day.

I suspect that these "non standard key formats" will eventually be a reason
to use or not use a given did method, because they can harm
interoperability with legacy systems, or require excessive translation on
the client...

OS

--
*ORIE STEELE*