From: Adam Stallard <adam.stallard@gmail.com>
Sent: March 24, 2021 8:52 AM
To: Michael Herman (Trusted Digital Web) <mwherman@parallelspace.net>
Cc: sds-wg@lists.identity.foundation; sds-wg@dif.groups.io; Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>; Daniel Buchner <daniel.buchner@microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Transcription of Selected Parts of the DIF SDS/CS March 11, 2021 Zoom Call: Hub and EDV Discussion featuring Daniel Buchner’s Description of a Hub

Thanks, Michael,

  1.  I missed the call on the 11th, so I couldn't ask then, but do hubs host EDVs or do they simply route between agents who host the EDVs?
MWH>> I’ve added a link to the recording next to the transcription: https://hyperonomy.com/2021/03/24/transcription-of-selected-parts-of-the-dif-sds-cs-march-11-2021-zoom-call-hub-and-edv-discussion-featuring-daniel-buchners-description-of-a-hub/

MWH>> Based on Daniel’s verbal explanation (as well as some developing consensus during the meeting), Hubs are a distinct layer below Agents and above EDVs (as I depicted in the last couple diagrams – the OSI Model and the AHE-ARM).
By implication, I take this to mean that Hubs *do not* host EDVs …Hubs simply access EDVs and their content.  Based on the current specification, EDVs are hosted or attached to EDV service *instances*.
NOTE: There is potential for confusion if the Hub and EDV service instance are co-located on the same virtual or physical infrastructure – but let’s not let that confuse the conceptual and logical separation of Agents, Hubs, and EDVs.

  1.  If I'm an agent and I want my EDV to be replicated so it has a better chance of being online, is that the job of other agents, or will a hub also host data?
MWH>> Based *solely on Daniel’s discussion in the call*, Hubs could be responsible for some sort of “syncing” between EDVs.  This can be conceptually true but I also have yet another whitepaper-in-progress (200+ pages of architecture variation discussions) that suggests from a performance perspective, “synching” (aka replication) can be performed at Layer B …controlled by Layer D or above (e.g. by an Agent or Hub).
I also believe in an Agent <> EDV configuration (no Hub), the above comments can be easily adapted by replacing “Hub” with “Agent”.

  1.  I could imagine a graph of information flow being helpful.  I noticed in the transcript, Orie was attempting to explain the relationships by drawing arrows.

MWH>> I’m hoping the above discussion will suffice for now.  But please let me know if it doesn’t say enough.  I’m also partly hedging until I can get my next whitepaper is completed because the potential EDV services models represent an involved topic/discussion.

  1.  --Adam