From: sds-wg@lists.identity.foundation <sds-wg@lists.identity.foundation> On Behalf Of Adrian Gropper
Sent: March 11, 2021 2:22 AM
To: Neil Thomson <neil.thomson@queryvision.com>
Cc: Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>; sds-wg@lists.identity.foundation; sds-wg@dif.groups.io
Subject: Re: [sds-wg] Reminder and Agenda for Confidential Storage Spec Call - Mar 11, 2021

Thanks, Neil.

I envision identity hubs as the digital equivalent of “The City of Atlantis”. It is the developer’s utopia where my app is both hosted for free and self-sovereign.

I am not being sarcastic. Hosted confidential storage, like an EDV, is just storage. Identity personas and apps are conceptually agents, meaning code execution as well as storage. A Solid pod, for example, has storage as well as app plugins. Depending on where and how the pod is hosted (in digital Atlantis) it might be self-sovereign or not.

My iPhone is also an identity hub. It is decidedly not self-sovereign. The app store hosts only censored code. The connectivity is anything but anonymous. My surveillance is both constant and opaque. Even so, I am “happy” to pay Apple and AT&T well over $1,000 / year for hosting my identity hub.

IMHO, taking up identity hubs in a storage workgroup may be allowed under our charter but it is overreach. Nonetheless, I am happy to engage with the working group and will approach it from the perspective of self-sovereign hosting of my persona.

Adrian