RE: [sds-wg] Reminder and Agenda for Confidential Storage Spec Call - Feb 25 2021

RE: Michael has mentioned some other prior-art (in the replication context) that could be reviewed here<https://github.com/decentralized-identity/confidential-storage/issues/162>. I'm sure there's more and across other contexts? Is there other work to document all the prior art that I have missed?

A few weeks ago I highlighted that I was working on a whitepaper to document and diagram the architectural variations for the 4 key layers in a confidential/trust content storage solution. I hope to have a first complete draft “later this week”.  You can find a link to a copy of today’s snapshot at the bottom of this email.

The Preface explains the twists and turns this document has taken and hence, why it has the title that it has…
Context

“Sometimes called “reasoning from first principles,” the idea is to break down complicated problems into basic elements and then reassemble them from the ground up. It's one of the best ways to learn to think for yourself, unlock your creative potential, and move from linear to non-linear results.”

[First Principles: The Building Blocks of True Knowledge(https://fs.blog/2018/04/first-principles/)]

“I think it is most important to reason from first principles rather than by analogy. One of the ways we conduct our lives is we reason by analogy. We do this because something was like something else that was done or it was like what other people were doing. It’s mentally easier to reason by analogy rather than from first principles.”
[First Principles Method Explained by Elon Musk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV3sBlRgzTI)]

Preface
This is a first-principles software architecture reference model (ARM) whitepaper that documents the comprehensive analysis of the potential architecture variations for the Trust Content Storage Stack (TCS Stack) including detailed interim as well as final assessments and recommendations.

The intent and purpose of this document has taken several strategic turns during the course of its development. Originally entitled Secure Data Storage Working Group (sds-wg) Confidential Storage (CS): Functional Architecture Reference Models (CS-FARMs), the initial goal was to help evolve the SDS Layers diagram in the Confidential Storage 1.0 Specification (https://identity.foundation/confidential-storage/#ecosystem-overview) to make it more useful for discussing the technology and architectural options for supported replication between encrypted data vaults.

This whitepaper evolved quickly over the subsequent weeks from being a few pages in length to more than 200 pages. The whitepaper had forked from its original mission. The purpose of the current version of the whitepaper to fully describe the architecture variations for a new project:  Trusted Content Storage Architecture (TCS Stack).

The work documented here was performed under the auspices of the Trusted Digital Web project in the Hyperonomy Digital Identity Lab of Parallelspace Corporation.

NOTE: The publication of this document coincides with recent discussions (January-February 2021) about secure data storage solutions in the Decentralized Identity Foundation (DIF) Secure Data Storage working group (sds-wg) that were taking place during the development of the Confidential Storage specification. This is not a DIF publication, unofficial, official, or otherwise.

Here’s a commenter link to a copy of today’s snapshot: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-Ve263KT7svN7oppIHyhK6idXikcbBsn/view?usp=sharing

Any and all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Michael Herman
Sovrin Foundation Self-Sovereignist

Self-Sovereign Blockchain Architect