Re: Identifiers in Verifiable Credentials

On 6/8/21 5:45 PM, Steve Capell wrote:
> These “esoteric” cases represent 99% of my use cases and volumes

Steve, you seem to be under the mistaken impression that there are others in
this group that don't have the same use cases that you do.

No one seems to have said this yet, so here goes:

Your use cases are not esoteric, there are entire work items dedicated to them
in the CCG (Traceability), and many of us understand them.

You're tilting at a windmill, mate. :)

You don't need to tilt; you're with friends. :)

There are two types of identifiers under discussion here:

1. The identifier of the subject.
2. The identifier of the Verifiable Credential itself.

Kerri was seeking input on #2 above, you're talking about #1.

There are many more identifiers we could talk about as well... in fact,
everything enclosed in braces "{...}" in a Verifiable Presentation and
Verifiable Credential can have an identifier. What the identifier is used for
is dependent on the type of object being identified.

So, when you say things like this:

> That the group thinks almost exclusively about VCs about people.  Whilst I
> think almost exclusively about VCs about things - and occasionally about
> businesses.

It's just simply not true:

https://www.cbp.gov/trade/ace/whats-new-innovation

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2019-Oct/Final-NAFTA-CAFTA-Report.pdf

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/assets/documents/2020-Mar/IPR%20POC%20Report%20-%20Final%20V2.pdf

https://blockchain-europe.enterprisesecuritymageurope.com/cxoinsight/blockchain-a-us-customs-and-border-protection-perspective-nid-1055-cid-107.html

https://www.afcea.org/content/dhs-awards-funds-blockchain-security-technology

https://www.nextgov.com/cybersecurity/2019/11/dhs-silicon-valley-program-makes-two-awards-digital-credentials-management/161368/

https://sphereon.com/dhs-preventing-forgery-and-counterfeiting/

... and the list goes on... all having to do with your use cases... all
non-person entities... which Heather probably also has quite a bit to say on
that particular topic. :)

Hope that helps.

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches